Tuesday 25 August 2015

Chicken, sweetcorn and noodle soup

The weather today has been very wet and gray.  I had the dentist this morning which left me feeling a bit sorry for myself. So comfort food was needed tonight,  As a child I had a love for packets of Knorr Chicken noodle soup.  I think I may even still have a pack in the cupboard.  But I also found a recipe for chicken and sweetcorn soup in the Chinese takeaway style which I like.  So I made a compromise and made. chicken, sweetcorn and noodle soup.  It's not as 'gloopy' as the takeaway version but it could be with using more cornflour.  


2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1.5 litres chicken stock ( using stock cubes is fine)
3 spring onions sliced, with green parts to
1 tin creamed sweetcorn
1 tablespoon cornflour
noodles
1 or 2 eggs
teaspoon of Thai fish sauce


I fond these noodles on my shopping travels a while ago from Lidl at 39p for 250g pack, they are ideal soup size.  However you could use any noodles or even broken spaghetti pieces or small pasta shapes.

Bring the stock to the boil in a big pot. place in your chicken and lower the stock to a simmer and leave to all gently simmer for 20 minutes. 

Remove the chicken to a plate or bowl and shred it with 2 forks.  Empty the creamed sweetcorn into the stock along with the spring onion and season to taste.

Mix the cornflour into a little water and add to the stock while stirring.  Stir in 100g roughly of noodles/pasta, and put the chicken back to the stock.  Give it a good stir and simmer for 15 more minutes with an occasional stir.  

At end of simmering time whisk up the egg with the fish sauce and stir the soup while dribbling slowly the egg to give the egg drop effect 


I love the eggy strands, just like I used to add to those Knorr packet soups years ago.

This went down well, even with the sweetcorn hater in the house. Decided I had better blog the recipe before I lose the recipe.  




1 comment:

  1. Just finished making this soup. I can't actually believe how good it is. I didn't add noddles or anything like that because it's perfect the way it is and didn't want to take anything away from it.

    ReplyDelete