Thursday 9 January 2014

Chicken kebab

We are on a lifestyle change, eating more healthy with better portions.  But I love the chicken kebabs from the kebab house that delivers to my house.  Although I don't like green peppers I also love their green peppers, mushrooms and onions so I needed to find a good substitute for these or I was going to crave what I was deprived off.  So I tried to do this at home and this version was received well by all.



For the chicken I chopped 2 chicken breasts for 3 skewers in bite size pieces and put in a bowl with a marinade of
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons white vinegar ( white wine, cider or rice wine is fine)
2 cloves garlic crushed or finely grated
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 pepper

stir to mix, cover and put in the fridge for 2 hours plus.

when you are ready to cook thread the chicken onto skewers and either cook in a preheated griddle pan or frying pan until charred on all sides and cooked all the way through. It took about 8-10 minutes I think turning so all sides were cooked.  I've done similar to this just stir frying in a pan to

meanwhile I chopped an onion, green pepper and some chestnut mushrooms up so there is roughly a third of each


while the chicken was cooking I heated a little vegetable oil and stir fried these in a frying pan over a high heat with a little seasoning and a good sprinkling of oregano.  the pepper should be slightly charred, onion should of lost its rawness and well cooked. 

I warmed through a pack of pitta, Gave everyone a skewer of chicken and put salad and the pepper mix on the table.  It all vanished.  Even the not liking green pepper kid ate his share with enthusiasm. 

Will in the future invest in a jar of pickled chillis.  I am only one who likes them ;o) And maybe do a low fat yogurt dressing to.  But for now it's good as it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment