Thursday 12 January 2012

cream of onion soup

We have soup on average of once a week in our house.  Just love it.  my obsession with soup was only fuelled last year when I found these red Le creuset soup bowls/bean pots with lids for sale.  They reminded me of my Mums soup bowls we ate soup out of when I was a young child.  Since then soup has become a more enjoyable meal thanks to these bowls. Usually we have bread with our soup but we still had half the cheese scones from my night time bake the night before and these complimented the soup very well.

This recipe comes from the book that accompanies the series cookery school. And although it is in the book with a gorgeous mini cheese and ham toastie to use as a crouton and a garnish of thyme oil I missed these out.  My older boy seems to have an aversion to green stuff and I think the thyme oil might of just been to weird last night so I left him with grated cheese and cheese scones to adorn his soup with.

I needed

50 g butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 kg white onions, peeled and thinly sliced ( was 5 onions for me and many tears)
1 tablespoons marjoram leaves
2 tablespoons thyme leaves
900 ml chicken stock ( I used vegetable stock)
150 ml double cream
salt and fresh ground black pepper

I had no marjoram so I just left it out and just stuck to the thyme and it was fine

heat a large pan on a medium heat and add the butter and the oil, once the butter has melted add in the onions and herbs.  You will need to soften the onions for 10-15 minutes without colouring. Once onions are softened add in the stock, bring to boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes

Blend the soup however you feel comfortable doing, I use a hand blender then put through a sieve if you want a smoother soup.  At this point I left the soup until I was ready to serve.  Then I added the cream and seasoning and heated gently and served.

This soup is great.  you can taste it's onion but it's so sweet but savoury even the onion hater in my house loves it.  Great with cheese or hunks of fresh bread to dunk in.

No comments:

Post a Comment